The Akimbo is a unique arborist climbing tool that enables the climber to ascend, descend and position on both stationary rope and moving rope systems. The Akimbo features rope contact surfaces (Upper and Lower Bollards) that adjust to accommodate a wide range of rope sizes to suit the climber's needs or preferences—all without tools or disassembling components. The Bollards can also be adjusted to increase or decrease friction to accommodate changes in climber weight, changes in environment, or adjust for natural wear of the Akimbo's contact surfaces.
The Akimbo opens easily to remove or install a rope mid-line in seconds, and compresses back down into a compact form factor both on and off the rope. When climbing on stationary rope, the chest harness connection point facilitates quick connections by way of an innovative wire gate. As opposed to a closed loop attachment, the wire gate conveniently allows the climber to use a small non-PPE carabiner to connect to the SRS attachment point, or directly to a loop of cord.
- Opens easily to install/remove rope mid-line, without detaching from harness.
- Accepts wide range of rope sizes (See list of approved ropes).
- Friction adjusts easily without tools.
- Suitable for both SRS and MRS climbing methods.
- SRS chest attachment wire gate provides quick connect/disconnect for cord or small carabiner.
- Ascend, descend and position in the canopy without changing equipment.
- Lightweight and compact.
Approved Ropes (.pdf)
User Instructions (.pdf)